Travelling Away Trip Policy
Attention to the following will help to promote safety:
- All away trips must be approved and sanctioned by the Committee of Ratoath Harps Football Club.
- Written permission of parents/guardians shall be obtained for all overnight trips. Parents/Guardians should complete a medical form disclosing any medical conditions or special needs of their child/children.
- All adults who travel on away trips with children will be carefully chosen.
- Adults/Coaches accompanying or participating in an away trip shall complete a medical form disclosing any medical conditions or special needs to the Club in advance.
- The roles and responsibilities of adults participating in away trips shall be clearly defined.
- Ratoath Harps Football Club will appoint a Team Manager/Head of Delegation for all away trips. He/She will have overall responsibility for the children’s wellbeing, behaviour and sleeping arrangements. He/She will be appointed as an official of Ratoath Harps Football Club for the duration of the trip. Children will be informed at the outset to whom they can report any concerns they might have. They shall be clearly encouraged to tell anybody if they should have a concern. On no account should they keep secrets.
- On away trips, all coaches/volunteers are accountable to the Team Manager/Head of Delegation in all non-performance related matters.
- Where there are mixed teams there shall be at least one female in the management/coaching structure.
- The Team Manager/Head of Delegation shall submit a report to the Committee of Ratoath Harps Football Club as soon as possible after the trip.
- As a norm adult should not share a room with a child. Where the presence of an adult is required there should be more than one child in the room with the adult. If children are sharing, it should be with those of the same age and sex.
- Coaches/volunteers are advised to avoid being alone with one child – if talking separately do so in an open environment, in view of others. Section 18 – Travelling Away Trip Policy
- Adequate child ratios should always be maintained (This can depend on the ages of the children, the nature of the activity involved or any special needs of the group) Guide 1:8 for children under 12 and 1:10 for twelve and over.
- Adequate supervision shall always be maintained.
- Ratoath Harps Football Club shall ensure that there is adequate insurance cover for the trip. • When driving, coaches/volunteers are required to ensure adequate insurance and to not carry more than the permitted number of passengers. Ensure the use of seat belts if provided.
- Coaches/Volunteers are discouraged from travelling alone in their cars with children. Should this be impossible, child passengers should travel in the back seat, be dropped off at central locations, and parental permission should be sought for transporting an individual on a regular basis. At all times there should be a clearly stated pick-up and drop off time.
- Special care should be taken by both host and visiting clubs in the selection of homes for overnight stays and where practicable more than one child should be placed with each host family.
- Parents/Guardians shall be informed as soon as possible if their child suffers any significant injury or accident.